Welcome to Trojan Thursday – So what exactly is Trojan Thursday? Trojan Thursday is a weekly email/online blog to give the UNI community an update on what is happening with our UNI athletic teams and will also give information as to major events that are happening on campus. If you would like to receive Trojan Thursday each week please go to https://unitrojanthursday.wordpress.com and type in your email address. You will receive a notice each week when Trojan Thursday is posted. Please help spread the word about Trojan Thursday so everyone can hear how our athletes are doing.
- Girls Volleyball Senior Night Tonight (9/27)! Join us in the gym at 5:00 p.m. for the Girls Volleyball Senior night and league game against Portola.
- Spirit Night Tonight! Come out to the school from 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. to see the school transformed!
- Trojan Army Day tomorrow! Wear your Trojan Army Shirt!
- Homecoming Football game is tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 28 against Northwood! Come out to the stadium and cheer on our team!
Athletes must have “Cleared” status for the 2018-19 school year on www.athleticclearance.com in order to participate in try-outs. Attend all dates listed unless otherwise stated.
- Girls Basketball Try-outs: Oct. 2, 3:30 – 5:30pm in the Uni Gym.
- Boys Soccer Try-outs: Oct.1, 2 & 4, 3:15 – 4:45 on the grass field. Sign up for the Boys try-outs Here: https://goo.gl/VfkmYF *Use your IUSD Google account to login* The last day to sign up for the Boys try-outs is Friday, Sept. 28.
- Girls Soccer Try-outs: Oct. 10 (3:00 – 4:30) & Oct. 11 (3:15 – 4:45) on the far grass field behind the Varsity Baseball Field. Sign up for the GIRLS try-outs Here: https://goo.gl/XeCdBR*Use your IUSD Google Account to Login* The last day to sign up for the GIRLS try-outs is Monday, Oct. 8.
- Baseball Try-outs: Oct. 11 (3:30 – 5:00) & Oct. 12 (3:15 – 5:00)
- Girls Lacrosse Try-outs: 23 – 25, 3pm – 5pm. Meet at the grass field behind the Varsity Baseball Field.
Fall Sports Update
Girls Cross Country had some impressive performances at the Dana Hills Invitational this past weekend. Collette Lowengrub and Avery Klauke ran in the Invitational section among the fastest runners in Orange County. They both ran personal best times of 17:41 (Lowengrub) and 18:00 (Klauke). These were the #10 and #24 fastest times of the entire weekend. Our top seven also included Marta Meinardi, Roseanne Yu, Amberley Martinez, Gwen Sanders, and Reyya Kocagil. This weekend our Varsity team will be competing at the prestigious Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto. GO UNI XC!
Boys Cross Country saw some more major improvements at the Dana Hills Cross Country Invitational this last weekend. Our Top runner, Ryan Duffy , had another PR with a time of 15:41 which gets him that much closer to the Uni top 25 All Time list. Also having outstanding performances included Raja Batra, Michael Blinstrub, Adam Gish, Dylan Muniz, Abhi Nisha Anish, Chris Lohmeyer, Ethan Jenkins. This next weekend the boys varsity will also be joining the girls team to compete in Palo Alto at the Stanford Cross Country Invitational. The race can be viewed on Prepcaltrack.com and we are racing Division 1 with boys race at 11am and the girls at 11:30am. Go Trojan Running!
The Trojans will be taking on the Timberwolves tomorrow night in the Uni Stadium for the Homecoming game. Game starts at 7:00 p.m. Come out and support and enjoy the Homecoming festivities!
The girl’s golf team had a productive week as we continue to strive for a PCL title. We beat Woodbridge last Thursday at Rancho San Joaquin, 183 – 193. Our top two scores came from Alexis Kim, 32, and Nodoka Honda, 34. Dana Choi contributed a one over par 37. Then, on Tuesday this week we topped Beckman 180-188. Both teams played well. We shot an even par 180 as a team, our best team score this season. Beckman also had their best score of the year. As for Uni, Alexis Kim and Nodoka Honda were 2-under par and Dana Choi shot an even par score of 36. Emily Tao recorded a 37 and Emy Zhu contributed with a 39. This was a great team effort! These two matches gave us a league record of 6-0. We have 4 league matches remaining.
The girls tennis team moved to 7 and 0 on the season, 2-0 in the Pacific Coast League, with a 15 to 3 win over Portola high. The top ranked team in CIF Division one was led by freshmen Arya Ramalingam who swept her three singles matches including a 6-4 win over Portola’s #1 player. The girls will be in action today against Irvine high at the Uni courts.
The girls volleyball team had a heart stopping match on Tuesday against Northwood to solidify their spot in the CIF playoffs for the first time in nine years. The Trojans went 5 sets in a match that was so tight that it could have gone either way. The girls came together knowing what was on the line and played strong to finish off Northwood on their senior night. The program, which has won more matches this year than in years past, also has a very strong F/S and JV team. Tonight is the team’s senior night, it will be a very good match as Portola rolls into the gym and the Trojans need to continue to win to keep this playoff birth alive.
Boys Water Polo
The Boys Water Polo team plays at home today in a league match against Irvine High. Frosh/Soph plays at 3:15, Varsity plays at 4:00 and JV follows at 5:00. Come out to the pool this afternoon and cheer on the Trojans as they take on the Vaqueros.
Here is a look at this week’s UNI Athletics events
(Home events in Blue)
Continue to do what you can to help support UNI Athletics and:
- Attend the games
- Wear UNI clothing or colors to the games
- Attend the GOWs
- Support the Trojan Army so we can put on events and give always at big games
- Spread the word about Trojan Thursday – If someone is interested in receiving Trojan Thursday send them the link – https://unitrojanthursday.wordpress.com