Welcome to Trojan Thursday – So what exactly is Trojan Thursday? Trojan Thursday is a weekly email/online blog to give the UNI community an update on what is happening with our UNI athletic teams and will also give information as to major events that are happening on campus. If you would like to receive Trojan Thursday each week please go to https://unitrojanthursday.wordpress.com and type in your email address. You will receive a notice each week when Trojan Thursday is posted. Please help spread the word about Trojan Thursday so everyone can hear how our athletes are doing.
- Trojan Army Day tomorrow (Friday, Oct. 19). Wear your Trojan Army Shirt to School and come out to the stadium Friday night for the big Rivalry game against Woodbridge. Uni is the visiting team this year, so we will be sitting on the visitor’s side. Game starts at 7:00 p.m.
- Students wearing a Trojan Army shirt will receive Free Admission to the game if they enter by 6:50 p.m. Otherwise the cost will be $5 with ASB or $8 without ASB.
Athletes must have “Cleared” status for the 2018-19 school year on www.athleticclearance.com in order to participate in try-outs. Attend all dates listed unless otherwise stated.
- Girls Lacrosse Try-outs: Oct. 23 – 25, 3pm – 5pm. Meet at the grass field behind the Varsity Baseball Field.
- Mandatory Wrestling Meeting – Oct. 24, 12:15 – 12:45 (Lunch) in MPR B.
- Boys Basketball – 2nd Try-out for Fall Sport Athletes: Saturday, Oct. 27, 8am – 10am & Monday, Oct. 29, 3pm – 5pm. Must be a fall sport athlete or have invitation to attend.
- Girls Water Polo Try-outs: Oct. 29 – Nov. 1, 3pm – 6pm @ Uni Pool
- Girls Soccer – 2nd try-out for Fall Sport Athletes: Nov. 5, 3pm – 4:30pm. Must be a fall sport athlete or have invitation to attend.
- Boys Soccer – 2nd try-out: Nov. 5 & Nov. 6. Try-out is invitation only. Contact Coach Martin if you have questions: email@example.com.
Fall Sports Update
UNI XC competed at OC Champs this past weekend at Oak Canyon Park in Silverado. We still had some solid performances even though half of our races were cancelled due to inclement weather. Sophomore Collette Lowengrub competed in the Girls Sweepstakes race among the best in the county. She finished 24th overall and ran 18:38 despite the rain and mud on the course as you can see from the picture below. Other top performances on the girls side came from Cecilia Langlois, Alissa Kopylova and Gwen Sanders. On the boys side, our top runner of the day was Freshman Caio Souza followed by Reese Carlton, Gabriel Hertel and Shuma Jensen. This weekend we will be competing at the famous Mt. Sac Invitational. GO Trojans!
Big week for the Trojans as we face our rival Woodbridge on Friday night at 7pm. Come support our team! Here is an article written by the OC Sports Zone featuring the Irvine Schools and the coveted “Fence Post Trophy.” Check it out:
Girls Golf made it a clean sweep at Pacific Coast League Finals yesterday. Uni golfers: Nodoka Honda, Dana Choi, and Alexis Kim finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively at the individual final tournament. They will advance to CIF and the team finished in 1st place overall…tied with Woodbridge. So, we will be playing for a repeat CIF title as a team.
Girls Tennis plays at home today against Woodbridge at the Uni courts. Come out and support the team. Match starts at 3:15.
Girls Volleyball is playing in the first round of CIF play-offs today. They are travelling to John Burroughs High School in Burbank. The game is at 6:00 p.m. If the girls win tonight they will move on to the 2nd round of play-offs on Saturday. Location TBA. Good luck girls and congratulations on making it to play-offs!
Boys Water Polo
After the strong victory last Thursday against Portola and the victory over Irvine on Tuesday, the boys water polo team has accumulated 16 wins on the season, the highest in 6 years. With two league games left, the team is looking to finish strong, and hopefully be considered into a CIF playoff position. Sophomore Stewart Campbell and senior goalie Cameron Bernardo lead this group with energy and enthusiasm each game no matter if there is a win or a loss. Last Tuesday was Senior day, and the boys water polo team is graduating 11 seniors. The team will miss them, however everybody is looking forward to an up and coming strong class of underclassmen to lead the Trojans to future success.
Here is a look at this week’s UNI Athletics events
(Home events in Blue)
Continue to do what you can to help support UNI Athletics and:
- Attend the games
- Wear UNI clothing or colors to the games
- Attend the GOWs
- Support the Trojan Army so we can put on events and give always at big games
Spread the word about Trojan Thursday – If someone is interested in receiving Trojan Thursday send them the link – https://unitrojanthursday.wordpress.com